Sunday, May 24, 2009

brenna's second birthday

On Thursday morning, my mom took Brenna to her 2-year-old doctor's appointment because it was at the same time as my 38 week (and last!) OB appointment. I couldn't change either time or date, so my mom offered to help us out.

Brenna is 28 lb. 4 oz. and 35.5 inches (still very tall, but she has only grown half an inch since her 18-month appointment). She didn't get any shots, though she needs one after June 10th. I warned my mom that Brenna is difficult to pin down, and the doctor couldn't even check her heart because she fought him so much. He told my mom that the 2-year-old appointment is the hardest!

After my final appointment (I have officially gained 37 lb. this pregnancy), I met Brenna back at my parents' house, where Erin, Maura and Bobby were waiting. My mom and Erin wanted to give Brenna her presents before her birthday on Saturday. My parents got her clothes, a Disney Princess chair, a Disney Princess sleeping bag and a Little People farm. Erin and her family got her a Cinderella blanket with her name on it, a Sleeping Beauty dress-up dress and Disney Princess flip flops. Mommom got her clothes, pj's and a Disney Princess ball. Brenna was thrilled with it all. We all took her to MM farm and had an ice cream lunch, and then I took her home for a much needed nap.

On Friday, after Brenna's last day of school, Jamie, Brenna and I celebrated her birthday with a pizza party and more early present opening.

Jamie and I gave her a Little Mermaid tricycle, doll stroller, doll high chair, Little Mermaid and Cinderella "big girl" bath towels, Dora and Diego videos, a Dora book, her first Barbie, a Disney Princess bat and ball and her first (pink) baseball glove. She really loved her new bike, but I won't lie - she was equally as happy with the purse Jamie brought home for her when picking up party supplies... from the Dollar Store!




It's all fun and games until Daddy takes too long to put your bike together.


That night, Brenna went to bed fully aware that her birthday and party were the next day. She might have actually fallen asleep with a smile on her face, saying, "Happy me! Suprise me? Happy me!" We practiced singing, "Happy Birthday to Brenna/me," and she kept talking about her party and cake and balloons, and woke up talking about it all when Jamie and I went in to greet her together. It was her special day!

Unlike her big first birthday party, we decided to have just the immediate family over this year. But, that still meant more than 20 people at our house. Luckily, everything was great, including the weather. Most of the BBQ food was pretty good (Jamie grilled and I made pasta salad for the first time and my favorite knock-off of California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Salad). The only thing that I screwed up were the potatoes, which were delicious when I made them for me and Jamie recently, but I didn't factor in that when you make 10 times the amount two people eat, they need 10 times as long to cook. Oh, well, Jamie was great and did a ton of the cleaning up so that I could sit down, and I think everyone had a nice time.

On round three of birthday presents, Brenna scored with a Radio Flyer inch worm, tea party books and clothes from Cathy, Jim, Danny and Matt; outfits and a kite from Kelly and Ian; outdoor/summer-themed gifts (a new baby pool, sunglasses, pool noodle, big rubber ball, bathing suit, Dora towel, freeze pops and two adorable outfits) from Ryan and Courtney; an art/magnet table from Mike and Camille; and lots of mess-free art supplies from Kevin and Jessie. Many things were wrapped in pink or Disney Princesses, and it looks like the Disney Princesses threw up all over our house. She is one lucky little girl!



When it was time for cake, Brenna watched everyone with a silly half-smile as they actually sang the song she knew was coming for so long. She even knew exactly how to blow out a birthday candle, but we forgot to tell her you shouldn't grab for it immediately after the flame goes out!






After much silliness from Brenna and Maura (shrieking, dressing up in princess costumes, dancing and rolling around on the floor, etc.), the night eventually came to an end. By the time all the guests left, Brenna didn't go to bed until almost 10:30 p.m. We talked about how much everyone loved her before she finally closed her eyes, and we all agreed that she had a perfect second birthday.

Happy you, Brenna, happy you!

2 comments:

Kat May 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

She really looks like such a big girl! I can't believe our kids are two! Good luck tomorrow (I think you said it's tomorrow!) Can't wait to see your new little princess :)

Pixiepurls May 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

she looks like a blonde version of you! SOO cute I love the crying/mad photo, totally priceless and funny/sweet. She looks like such a big girl!

About This Blog

test, test, test

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates

Back to TOP